“Well-armed and plentiful, these troops are effective at tearing down enemy buildings. These unique Roman soldiers have more health.”
Praetorian Guard is a level 7 Romans unique Heavy Infantry unit unlocked in the Gunpowder Age. Its predecessor is the Caesar's Legion and can be upgraded to Praetorian Fusilier. It is researched in a level 6 Armory. It replaces the Halberdier.
General Information Edit
The standard Heavy Infantry's default A.I. or purpose is to destroy the closest building (excluding walls) but when attacked by an enemy troop; will fight back. They're excellent at taking down defensive Heavy Cavalry (noticeably on cavalry at an age lower than them) and are able to destroy buildings quickly. However, their disadvantages are that they have low health meaning that they can be killed very quickly. They can get destroyed easily by Splash Damage Structures such as Catapults or Mortars and Multiple Target Damage Structures such as Redoubt or Machine Gun. They are also weak against other Heavy Infantry (and even Ranged Infanty} spawned by the City Center, Garrisons, Ambush Traps etc.
- As a Roman unique unit, Praetorian Guard has 25% more health than the standard Heavy Infantry they replace.
The Praetorian Legion was the Roman Emperors' personal bodyguard, stationed in Rome to protect the ruling power from external or internal threat. Created by the Emperor Augustus, the Praetorians were stationed outside of Rome, but brought into the city later by Tiberius, giving them significant political power in the Eternal City. Cohorts of Praetorians would sometimes be used as part of a Roman army, such as in Mark Anthony's invasion of Parthia.The Praetorians were the best soldiers in the known world, and were often employed to crush rebellions throughout the Empire.
Attacking Strategies Edit
- If these units are used in large groups and not in heavy fire; then they can be devastating and can destroy a base easily.
- Catapults or Mortars, with their splash damage, are devastating against these units and can kill a group of them in a few hits if in the range of the impact. Spread the units around so that the mortar would have to hit each infantry to kill it and that its impact would not affect other infantry as well or deploy a few Heavy Cavalry to destroy it.
- Redoubts or Machine Guns (Building) can likewise be devastating against these units, if it is not dealt with appropriately. Keep the units away from it until it is destroyed or position them to destroy it quickly.
- Missile Silo can elemininate a group of these units quickly. Don't group them together so much that will attract the Silo attacks. Or deploy them after the Silo is destroyed, sabotaged or distracted by other units with high HP.
- Use Ranged Infantry to support them, so they don't perish easily.
- They can be used as a distraction for many defenses and can help protect ranged infantry such as riflemen from heavy fire from defenses.
- A group of them can easily overwhelm single target defensive towers but are vulnerable against Machine Gun (Building).
- This unit is based in real life Praetorian Guards, who, for a time, were the bodyguards of the Roman Emperors. However, by the Gunpowder age (aprox. 15th - 17th Century) they would have been obsolete.
- In real life, the Praetorian Guard was disbanded in 312 by Constantine the Great.
- Although supposedly protectors, the Praetorian Guard became infamous for overthrowing and killing Emperors.
- The Praetorian Guards were known to kill any Emperor who lacked the funds necessary for their loyalty.
|DomiNations Wiki Navigation|
|Alliances • Artifacts • Blessings • Chest • Coalitions • Great Leaders • Events • Gameplay Mechanics • Leagues • Mercenaries • Multiplayer • Resources • Single Player Campaigns • Tactics • Technology • Troops • Troop Tactics • Wildlife • World War • Fan Contributions|